Tuesday, October 5, 2010

No Excuses

I hate excuses and apologies when bloggers haven't been able to write - I think people understand when we have a life that isn't in front of this screen!  

But, truthfully, I think I've got a really good one this time:  I've been completely preoccupied with figuring out if this phenomenal chance to OPEN A STORE in our small town is the right thing for our family.  

I haven't meant to neglect my duty to my blog, but my creative energy has been needed elsewhere. I believe that when a door closes, a window opens.  After Allen lost his job in August to restructuring, we felt doors slam shut and the walls start to close in.  Then, another misfortune has presented, perhaps, the most beautiful window to the start of something really wonderful. 

A barber shop in town had a fire earlier this year and was destroyed.  Fortunately, no one was hurt.  The owners have been rebuilding and making the location far more glorious than it was, with much visibility and curiosity from local and visitor alike that it's literally the talk of the town.

So, we talked it through and figured out what we have, what we need and how much it would realistically cost us and decided to at least try.  Well, after an arduous term on their waiting list of potential lessors.....we've been picked!  My excitement is overwhelming and my creative energy has been reborn anew.  (Sorry, I've been reading The Fall of Atlantis by Marion Zimmer Bradley and the prose is contagious). 

Today we put an "Opening Soon" sign in one of the four extra large front windows - of course it promptly fell when we couldn't get BACK inside to fix it!  But it was still a very proud and momentous occasion, as I've been dreaming of this for over 15 years and now it's finally coming to pass.  A family business....for real!

Opening Soon - too bad the sign didn't cooperate!
But, since I couldn't give you a proper photo, I thought I'd share the rough idea sketch I made last night when I just couldn't sleep.  Okay, I think I admitted I'm not an artist before...so, please, be kind!  

Rough concept sketch looking through store windows
The store front is brick red board and batten, with a grey stone facade around the windows.  Today, when we went in to put up our glorious sign, we walked through exactly where we visualize everything.  I can already picture where everything will go and how it will look.  

The open date is a bit fluid at the moment, as would be expected with a new build.  Diane is hoping we'll be able to take possession for November 15th, but suggested we'd be better to think December 1.  Okay, busy time of year, but also a good time to open a new kids store!  

Our plans for the interior are actually pretty simple for the start.  My plans to add murals will happen in time, but I'll probably use some Wallies or WallCandy wall art decals for some fun to start.  Of course, Inspire...Imagine...Invent! is a huge part of our planned whimsical atmosphere - in the end I'm going for spectacular!  (sigh...)  

But for today, I have to be content to visualize....and wait patiently for time to bring us to the great day!

Until next time:  Inspire...imagine...invent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!