Thursday, January 6, 2011

Patience is a virtue

Let me start by admitting the only time you could use the word "patient" to describe me is at the doctor's office.  I'm a stickler for a schedule and I don't care for having to repeat myself, along with a few other quirks that scream: "no patience"!

I'm a bit of a type "A", high strung, perfectionist with very high expectations and an Über-critical eye for detail.  So, when we first started the journey to open our store, I knew that "Patience" would be the most crucial skill I could develop.   I didn't expect the road to be as smooth as glass, but I'm not sure I was truly prepared for the bumpy journey. 

Farmer's Field on Conc 10
We live in a small town (pop. 3500 ish) and I have always enjoyed our time here.  As you're driving up Airport Road and entering our community, you see a sign to the right that says "Welcome to Stayner, The Town of Friendly People" - awwww, how quaint.  (Seriously, it says that - the first time we drove up from the city to look at homes I saw that and really thought "awwww, how quaint")

We've lived here almost 5 years now.  We have worked hard to entrench ourselves in this community by being active members in many clubs and organizations, leaving our city jobs for local jobs, donating our time, expertise and so on to help improve the lives of everyone making our area home.  It was and is about more than just "fitting in", it's about giving our kids the best start in life in a place where personal relationships are currency:  after all, it takes a village, right? 

So you can imagine that my need to control and lack of patience might present a few challenges as we started to build our plans for our new store.  We had set our plan in motion, hoping to open December 1.  Rockin' workshops, promotions, advertising and stock were all planned around being open in December - unfortunately, all new constructions experience delays, but I think I hoped it would be different this time.  (I knew I should have wished on a star!) 
Throughout the experience, I hope I did as well as I think I did managing my emotions and being a pillar of patience. 

By December 15th, we were already 2-4 weeks "behind" our  schedule, with an unclear target date in sight and I think I was starting to worry this would never really happen.

Finally...a work in progress!
It was so wonderful to receive great news just before Christmas and know there was light at the end of the tunnel.  We were able to get in and start turning the dream into a reality.  Then, on January 3rd, we learned the final building inspection would take place on January 6th.  Man, this was really happening!

So, today is the day.  Today is the day we find out our destiny, so to speak and, well, despite a few of construction setbacks, we have a target open date in sight - Hooray!

Today, in the spirit of high expectations, we have set the date for our grand opening celebration:  February 5, 2011.  The mayor will even be on hand for an official ribbon cutting ceremony - cool, right?  After a roller coaster of events and emotions for the last 3 months, it seems patience has finally paid off.  It turns out it really is a virtue.  I did allow myself one week, when it seemed like everything was against us, to wallow in self-pity and experience my natural impatience and need to have more control.  But only one (1) week out of 13; not bad!
Sunshine and Daisies

Perhaps I acted patiently and then came back to patience again, after that one bad week, more out of resignation than a real belief that patience is a virtue.  But in the end, I regained my patience and enthusiasm and am so excited to be able to share my passion for creativity by opening this great store. 

I admit, my mantra had to become the Serenity Prayer (see entry Jan 1, 2011) and ask myself "do you know the difference?" many times.  Today, my horizon is all sunshine and daisies, so I'm thinking I do.  Guess we'll have to wait till the next challenge crops up and see if it's true. hehehe

Until next time:  Inspire...imagine...invent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!