Friday, August 6, 2010

Why blog?

Passing an afternoon with friends
I've always been a creative person.  You know the type:  tries everything at least once, does a few really well, and others not so well, but most are just passable.  For the most part, I think the ooh's and aah's are just because the ooh-maker would  likely never have tried it! Not to reduce the amount of joy I get when they do it though! 

I've been a baker since I was 3, to my mother's chagrin, and finally started using the proper tools and the oven when I was about 9 - baking is truly my passion and I hear I'm quite good at it.  

You could say I enjoy cooking, though that might be a bit of a stretch as I have to try hard  to like it at times.  I prefer to entertain and add a bit of flair.  In fact, I try to finagle it that we hold all the family functions at my house so I have time to put the finishing touches on till the very last minute.  A few in my family endearingly nickname me "Martha".  But I think it's more
a joke at the expense of my perfectionism than my creative flair for things!

I have made a business of my creative nature for a number of years as an artisan (la dee da!).  I custom painted art on clay flower pots before it was a fad, so if you were around for the era, you can guess my generation.  In addition to those, I've made and sold more different crafts and artistic items than I can even name anymore.  I still own and operate that business under the same name.  It has evolved, though it's become a part-time gig to make way for the career, and now I run it with my young son.

These days, I'm a Work-At-Home-Mom (WAHM) of two obnoxiously amazing kids.  My son is 9 and my daughter almost 6.  She likes to say "almost 6" instead of 5 and a half because she's going into Grade 1 now, and wouldn't want you to think for a moment she might still be in SK !  (senior kindergarten)

Being a WAHM gives me an enormously valuable opportunity to be with my kids, technically raising them, while still actively pursuing my chosen career path in Sales & Marketing. 

I guess I should also mention my husband and soul-mate, Allen.  He's pepper when I'm salt, he's light when I'm dark, he's rock when I'm water.   I don't know if I even believe in soul mates (of course I do!), but he's the one, for sure.

My family is definitely THE most important thing in the world to me.  I'm a Virgo, an earth sign, a home-body to the core.  I think that's why the things I enjoy that require my creativity tend to also be a bit "homey"; baking, for example.  I'm not a sculptor or an oil painter - I don't dream of sitting on a cliff overlooking the bay at sunset and painting the gorgeous view presented to me. Though if that's yours, hats off, I'd love to admire your work!

And, because we live on Georgian Bay, I do have the luxury of enjoying that beautiful view almost any time it suits me.  But I would love to go and see the view, take a picture to capture the moment, print the picture and scrapbook it!  I'll still be able to remind myself what the beautiful sunset over the bay looked like and I will have fulfilled my desire for capturing the moment creatively.

I've maintained my creative energy and spirit since my childhood because I was allowed to do it and I truly believe I'm a stronger person for it.  My family has always understood the  value of creativity and the role it plays in shaping our ability to "deal" with life , overcoming obstacles, seeking creative solutions, and they have encouraged my journey. 

I guess that's one of the reasons I wanted to blog; and specifically to blog about inspiring imagination, through creative play, every day.  

I love being creative and know the benefits that has brought me;  I also enjoy connecting with others who are being creative.  I love reflecting on what others create when they're inspired and I want to be part of the steadfast voice that maintains the importance of creativity in our society, especially for our kids. 

I encourage all comments and you can expect a giveaway or two once in a while.  

Until next time:  Inspire....imagine...invent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking!